Friday, December 16, 2011

What a difference!

I had my second consultation today. Let me tell you, it was like night and day! I'd like to say I got some major clarity, but alas, I'm still unsure as ever.

Every doctor, person, website, etc. tells a different story. It's so hard to decide what's right for you when you have so many varying opinions. Maybe someone can glean some insight from this blog one day that I can't seem to find at this moment.

I walked into Dr. Fiorillo's office and the first thing I thought was, wow, this place is nice. It felt like I was walking into a spa. The female at the desk was all dressed stylish, and you could tell she had definitely been a patient of the doctor at some point. She was super sweet and wasn't upset at all that I was late. (It's kinda a downfall of mine..) After I filled out some paperwork I was lead into a patient room and told to only undress my shirt and put on the "robe". Once again, I laughed to myself because I knew it was coming off just as fast. She left me some reading material about the Dr. and told me to hang out.

Guess what? This doctor actually appeared to want to work with me! He was super nice (and actually quite attractive as well, not gonna lie). He sat down, introduced himself and went right into asking and answering questions. What I appreciated was that he told me his preferences for surgery, instead of just telling me how it's going to be done. He only had me stand there naked for a few minutes so he could check out my structure and assess anything out of the ordinary. There was no standing naked for 20 minutes as we talked, thank God.

After I had asked as many questions as I could, he told me that if I chose to book he would have me come back two weeks before surgery for a "size appointment".  He would take pictures, and measure me so that he could help me find the best size possible for my size and body shape. It was nice to know he took pains to make sure I chose the right size, rather than leaving me in a room with a nurse, a sports bra, and my best guess. (Um, last I checked I have no experience in this...pretty sure my guess is no better than an stranger picking out a size with his eyes closed!)

Once he was gone, I got dressed and Phyllis his assistant took me to a comfortable sitting room. She made me tea and told me all about her experience. (She had a BA from Dr. Fiorillo as well) She was super sweet, but not overly so, even though she was selling of course. She spent over an hour with me, talking and answering all my questions. I didn't feel rushed and was very comfortable.

Both the Dr. and Phyllis told me that silicone are a better idea. Before today I was under the impression that they are dangerous, because you'll never know if or when they pop. I am worried about them leaking into other organs. However, according to them the old silicone implants were, in fact, dangerous. However, they way they make them now means that if they were to get a hole, the substance would stay in place. He has never (so he says) had a silicone breast leak, pop, or get a hole. The only time he saw one was when he was operating on a girl who wanted to go bigger and one of the implants that she had from another doctor had a hole. She had no idea until he was operating on her. The biggest drawback to silicone is that they are more expensive. However, they don't have to be replaced every ten years like saline. Also, they lay more like real breasts and have a softer, more real feel.

Ugh! I don't know what to do now, I was all set on saline and now I am leaning towards silicone.

Regardless, I felt really comfortable the whole time. I was really impressed that a famous doctor like him and his staff would take that much time to really consult with me. Maybe they had nothing else to do, who knows. But my gut (and I always go with my gut) tells me that this is the winner over the two so far. Not to say I might not like any other doctor, but he's got a lot of points to beat at this point.

One step closer...

No comments:

Post a Comment