Monday, November 21, 2011

Stats on Dr. Loomis

Here is the breakdown of what would happen if I go with Dr. Loomis:

The implants themselves are saline, he doesn't recommend silicone. They have a warrentee for life that will replace them for free, but if I pay $100 extra I can also get a 10-year plan that covers up to $2500 of any fees associated with a burst or other fixes. Dr. Loomis says that industry-wise the rate of bursting is about 3% and his rate is about 1.5%.

He performs an average of 2 BA's a week, and has been certified for 20 years now. He does them in a local hospital, so I'd also have an anesthesiologist, and the nurses to assist.

The surgery is done with general anesthesia. While in, they give an IV of antibiotics and then prescribe them afterwards along with heavy pain medication. I'm allowed to continue taking my current medications. The incision is under the armpit and he places them under the muscle. I believe it's called trans-auxillary. If there is a problem the same incision can be used again. They use dissolvable stitches and no surgical tape. The nurse told me they haven't had any complications but that they would be covered in his fee.

After care: He doesn't believe in massage, as in his opinion it causes them to move out of place. He gives an exercise that he has you do to help them settle properly. The after-care and post op visits are included in his fee, and they see you right after the surgery, while they are dropping and then in 3 months, 6 months, etc. They can't recommend Arnica or Bromelain because they are not FDA approved but she told me to do my research and decide for myself. They do not recommend a bra to use before, or after. In fact, once the surgery is done they don't want you to wear a bra at all, just a camisole during the day and a piece of tape across the upper part of the breast while sleeping. Sleeping can be done laying down, they don't ask you to sleep upright even the first week.

I can resume work in a week, but best if two weeks are available. I will be able to shower the next day as there are no drainage areas. Driving is possible once you are off the pain Rx and feel you have complete control of arms and neck movement. Light exercise is ok after a week, but a month or more is necessary before I work out heavily. She advised I wear an underwire bra while running after and not sports bras because they compress too much while the wire holds them together so they don't move.

Exact fee breakdown:

Dr. Fee: $4800
Implants: $1000
Anesthesia: $960
Hospital: $1150 or $1250 ($1250 includes labs)

TOTAL: $7910 or $8010

No comments:

Post a Comment